We are a photography studio that focuses on human connection & beauty through analog capture (film). We specialize in traveling anywhere to capture remarkable people and weddings. This blog is devoted to consistently connecting our community to our new work, inspirations, ideas, and team. We are so honored that you would join the A Bryan Photo conversation. Dialoguing with our faithful community keeps us fresh, honest, and constantly moving forward. We thank you for your attention and your voice!.

Follow us on Twitter here.

Tour our Studio here.

Wedding Family Formals



I used to hate taking family formals at weddings until I learned that I could move around and find special moments between the posed shots. These are the real family photos that I would want to see if I could hire myself. The photos where everyone is standing nice and straight still have a purpose but I want to see true personality.

What are your thoughts? What images make a family formal session successful?











8 comments:

Stephen DeVries said...

These rock! Great work. I've been trying the 4x5 at my family formals...I'll let you know how they work out as soon as I develop the frames from the past 4 weddings

Bonnie said...

That is what I love about 2nd shooting at weddings. While the main photog is getting the formals, I can slip around the scene and get the good stuff.

A Bryan Photo said...

That's awesome bonnie!
I'd love to see some of those shots!
Stephen, i really want to see those when you get them back!
Bj

Mariana said...

THOSE are the pictures I would want from the photographer that I hire!


I guess I'm hiring you when the time comes!!! :D

Mariana said...

now speaking about the pics, well... I hate the classic posed ones. But mind you, ours are worse than yours. There´s a big tradition around here regarding the wedding portraits. The classical portraits that should never be missing on your wedding album are the newlyweds with EVERY table of guests (so boring!!! plus half of those people are your parents guests and you might not even know them)... so yeah, the bride and groom walk through the entire party with the photographer following them, and they stop for a few minutes on each table, and people stop eating to get together for a picture with them, then they move on.

If you ask me: dreadful.
So far, the few weddings that I've done have included cool brides and grooms that also hate those shots.

Now, typical family portraits, yes, they tend to be stiff and boring, but sometimes you can get nice stuff out of them if you find out a way to get them relax. Otherwise, you just get the shots they want, and in between those unappealing and uninteresting ones, you take the one you really care about, like the ones you just posted...

Laura Reaux said...

Wow Bryan... what is it that is showing us so much emotion in grandma's face? I'm so drawn to her eyes.

The family formal shots are the ones I am most dreading for some reason as I'm preparing to start doing weddings. So often they just feel cold. I love the idea of catching things in between. Do you place family members or just have them gather together?

chelsea said...

Love these shots. I'd love to see more from the wedding in the 2nd to last photo.

alishaneva said...

Awesome. I would definitely want these from my formal photos (which will have to be done thanks to mom) because they're just so much more personal ...

Blog Archive